If you use a motorised wheelchair on a footpath or road area in Queensland, it must be registered.
To be registered, your motorised wheelchair must:
- have an electric motor
• be designed and built for a person with mobility difficulties
• have a tare weight of 150kg or less
• not be capable of travelling at more than 10km/h on level ground.
• If you move from another state or territory to Queensland to live you must register your motorised wheelchair within 14 days. Visitors to Queensland are exempt from registration.
In all cases, the person in control of the motorised wheelchair must be capable to safely operate the motorised wheelchair.
Registrations of motorised wheelchairs are free.
There are also no transfer, number plate or compulsory third party (CTP) insurance fees.
MOTORISED WHEELCHAIR USE
When using a motorised wheelchair outside of the home, for example on a footpath, the person using the motorised wheelchair is considered to be a pedestrian under the Queensland Road Rules. This means a motorised wheelchair (including mobility scooters) can only be used where a pedestrian can travel, referred to as pedestrian travel routes.
A person using a motorised wheelchair, or any other pedestrian must:
• use the footpath or nature strip where available
or if there is no footpath or nature strip available, or there is an obstruction that needs to be avoided, the person must travel as close as possible to the left or right hand side of the road—you also should face oncoming traffic if possible
• cross a road by the most direct route and use a crossing where available.
In addition to the above general rules, a person using a motorised wheelchair must also exercise due care and attention for the safety of others at all times, including travelling at an appropriate speed (which depending on the situation may be less than the maximum speed of 10km/h).
You can permit another person to use your motorised wheelchair. If you do, you must make them aware of the Queensland Road Rules relating to the use of a motorised wheelchair.